Promoting student wellness, preventing and reducing childhood obesity, and providing assurance that school meal nutrition guidelines meet the minimum federal school meal standards.
A wellness policy helps create a healthy school environment. Our wellness policy includes four important components:
- Wellness Committee
- Nutrition Education
- Nutrition Promotion
- Physical Activity
The Indian Prairie School District #204 permits and encourages public involvement in Local Wellness Policy development, implementation, updates, and reviews. Therefore, Indian Prairie School District #204 shall invite a variety of stakeholders within the general public to participate in Local Wellness Policy processes. The wellness policy website will be utilized to notify the general public of the opportunity to participate in these processes.
Indian Prairie School District #204 will ensure public involvement in the Local Wellness Policy process in order to promote transparency and inclusion. Therefore, Indian Prairie School District #204 encourages the general public to be a part of the Wellness Policy Committee. Examples of the general public include parents, students, healthcare professionals, local farmers, and community leaders. Indian Prairie School District #204 also encourages participation by members of the school community, including teachers, food service professionals, administrators, health professionals, and school board members. Responsibilities of Wellness Policy Committee members may include policy development, implementation, and review.
Under the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, assessments of the Local Wellness Policy must occur no less than every three years. Indian Prairie School District #204 shall conduct assessments of the Local Wellness Policy every three years. These assessments will:
- Ensure the wellness policy is in compliance with USDA, State, and Local rules and regulations
- Compare Indian Prairie School District #204 wellness policy to model wellness policies
- Measure the progress made in achieving the goals as outlined in the Indian Prairie School District #204 wellness policy
The Wellness Policy Committee must update the Local Wellness Policy as appropriate in order to fit the needs and goals of Indian Prairie School District #204. Indian Prairie School District #204 shall make the following available to the public:
- The Local Wellness Policy, including any updates to the policy, on a yearly basis
- The triennial assessment, including progress toward meeting the goals outlined in the wellness policy
Through the following channels:
- The wellness policy website will be utilized to notify the general public of the wellness policy updates
- Board of Education Policy Readings
- Board of Education Public Meetings
Wellness PDF Documents