Return to the full version of this webpage.
Go to the IPSD 204 homepage.
Academically Talented Students
District 204 offers a variety of academic programs to meet the needs of our students. Although assessment occurs throughout the school year for all students, some programs require the gathering of additional information in order to determine appropriate placement. Our identification process for Project Arrow and Accelerated Math programs includes the use of multiple measures when considering the total child for academic programming. We consider standardized and normed assessment data including, but not limited to, the following: Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT), Iowa Test of Basic Skills (ITBS), aimswebPlus, classroom assessments and students' learning characteristics.
The district believes that year long algebra instruction is critical for long-term math success. With this in mind, any math qualification or pathway that does not include year long algebra is not in the students’ best interest and, therefore, will not be permitted. New placement into Project Arrow Math will only occur at the beginning of sixth grade or at the beginning of seventh grade.
A timeline for our standardized and normed assessments is below.
Project Arrow & Accelerated Math: Elementary Identification Timeline
Accelerated Math Project Arrow Sep.-Nov.
- Cognitive Abilities Test administered to all students in Grades 2 and 5
- Notification of PA assessment procedures
- Letters sent to parents of Grade 2 - 5 students recommended to participate in testing for the Project Arrow Program
- Selected elementary students participate in PA testing (Iowa Assessments and Cognitive Abilities Test)
- Letters sent home to parents of 2nd -5 th grade students regarding permission to participate in Accelerated Math Testing
- Letters sent to parents of all 5th grade Accelerated Math students regarding math placement test for Grade 6 PA Math
- Placement tests for Accelerated Math administered to all Grade 2 and selected Grade 3 – 5 students
- IAAT Testing for Grade 6 PA Math
- Letters sent home to parents of students qualifying for Accelerated Math for the upcoming school year (Grades 3-5)
- Letters sent to parents of students qualifying for Project Arrow at the elementary and middle school for the upcoming school year (Grades 3-5)
- Elementary PA students placed in cluster classrooms for the upcoming school year
aimswebPlus universal screeners of literacy & numeracy development occur three times during the school year (fall, winter, spring)