Principal Update February 12, 2017
Reported by email@example.com on 2/12/17
Don't forget to mark your calendars for this Friday's STEM night event. You and your child will be amazed at all there is to do! Also, this is the last weekend to tweak your Brainiac Projects. They will be collected beginning on Wednesday morning.
Here is an update from Brookdale:
ONE BOOK, ONE SCHOOL
Our One Book One School program will begin on Thursday Feb 16. If you have not yet submitted your order form for this program please do so no later than Tuesday Feb 14.
AUTHOR VISIT WITH TIM GREEN
Brookdale third, fourth and fifth grade students will have an author visit with Tim Green on March 6th. Tim Green is a very NFL player who currently writes very popular stories/books centered around sports. His latest book, Baseball Genius was co-authored with Derek Jeter!! Students can purchase an autographed copy of this book for $16.99. To preorder a book, please complete the attached order form. Find out more here about Tim Green.
BOOK DRIVE RETURNS TO BROOKDALE
Do you have books you no longer need? Do you have books you'd like to share with others? We have an opportunity for you to donate your gently-used books to a great cause. A local student is doing a community service initiative. She is collecting for local organizations like People’s Resource Center. Please help this cause to make a difference in the lives of people who don't have access to the books we are so privileged to have. You may drop off any books at the designated box starting Monday, February 13th through Friday, March 7th. Thank you in advance for your support!
LOOKING FOR A MORNING CROSSING GUARD
Brookdale is in need of a morning Crossing Guard at the end of the Bainbridge path. If you or someone you know is interested, please apply online here. Scroll down for the Brookdale Position.
PDAC MEETING ON FEBRUARY 23, 2017
The Parent Diversity Advisory Council (PDAC) invite you to a districtwide discussion focused on Chapter 5 of the Mindset book by Carol Dweck on Thursday, February, 23rd, 7:00-9:00 pm, at Crouse Education Center (CEC), 780 Shoreline Drive. It is not necessary to have read the chapter or book. The topic of the discussion is: Call to Collaboration with District Parent Organizations. For information about PDAC or PDAC meetings, please visit the PDAC subpage.
The Parent Diversity Advisory Council (PDAC) in conjunction with the Metea Valley High School PDAC committee, invite you to attend a FREE screening of the film: Most Likely to Succeed. An acclaimed film offering an inspiring look at what students and teachers are doing in schools. The screening will take place on Friday, March 10th, 6:30 pm, at Metea Valley High School (auditorium). For additional information and to RSVP, please visit THIS LINK.
RAISE MONEY FOR IPEF AND BROOKDALE - JOIN TEAM IPEF
Help make a difference for our students. There's still time for you to be part of the excitement. You have until February 18 to join Team IPEF and run on behalf of our school in the 5th Annual Naperville Half Marathon on Sunday, October 22, 2017. Since 2014, Team IPEF has raised more than $300,000 for District 204 schools and programs supported by the Indian Prairie Educational Foundation. Half of all money raised goes directly back to your child's school. The other portion goes toward supporting district-wide programs.
You can join more than 175 teammates who have already committed to make a difference. Sign up today athttps://www.ipef204.org/get-involved/teamipef/
As of today, we have five people who have signed up to run for Brookdale: Mr. Sapoznik (teacher), Ms. Walsh (teacher), Mr. Tabisz (teacher), Ms. Bowers (teacher) and Mrs. Birkner (parent)!
KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION BEGINS
All Brookdale students (one and only students) brought home pre-registration forms for Kindergarten next year. Please let neighbors and friends who have not started at Brookdale yet know and pass this information on to them. We need to plan accordingly so we have the right amount of sections for our KDG classrooms.
SOLES4SOULS COLLECTION BEGINS
As you clean out your closets for Spring, please consider donating your unwanted shoes. We will have a donation box placed in the vestibule from February 1st until March 1st. Any and all shoes of any kind are welcome. The shoes will be donated to Soles4Souls. They collect and deliver thousands of pairs of shoes to the most in need around the world! Shoes provide protection from injury and disease. Many children are prevented from attending school because the journey is too treacherous to make without shoes. Even shoes in sad shape are sent for recycling so they can become new products. Let's keep shoes out of landfills and at the same time provide safety to others! For more information, contact Dawn Fletcher at firstname.lastname@example.org.
JUMP ROPE FOR HEART
It was decided to not hold a special Jump Rope for Heart event this year at Brookdale Elementary. If families would like to donate to the American Heart Association, please visit their website here for more information.
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Monday, February 20th - NO SCHOOL - President's Day
• Thursday, March 2nd - NO SCHOOL - Parent Teacher Conferences (as needed) 1:00pm to 8:00pm
• Friday, March 3rd - NO SCHOOL - Institute Day
• Monday, March 6th - Kindergarten Preview Night for Parents of 2017-18 Kindergarten - 6:30pm
• Wednesday, March 8th - PTA Talent Show Rehearsal - 3:40pm
• Friday, March 10th - PTA Talent Show - 7:00pm
• Week of March 13th - PARCC Testing for Fifth Grade
• Wednesday, March 15th - Family Reading Night - 6:30pm
• Friday, March 17th - End of Third Quarter
• Week of March 20th - PARCC Testing for Fourth Grade
• Monday, March 27th thru Friday, March 31st - NO SCHOOL - Spring Break
• Week of April 10th - PARCC Testing for Third Grade
MONDAY, February 13th
• Gym Club for Fifth Grade - 8:00am to 8:50am
• PTA Assembly - Meeting the Lincolns (being presented to all grade levels during school day)
• Tabor Neighbor Club - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
• Whiz Kids Coding Club - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
TUESDAY, February 14th
• Typical Day at Brookdale
WEDNESDAY, February 15th
• Late Start Wednesday - First bell is at 9:00am - School begins at 9:15am
• Brookdale Brainiac Projects are due in AM
• Brookdale Buddies Program - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
THURSDAY, February 16th
• Chorus Practice - 8:00am to 8:50am
• PTA Assembly - Mr. Freeze (afternoon of school day)
• PTA Family Dinner Night at Jimmy John's - 11:00am to 8:00pm
FRIDAY, February 17th
• Gym Club for Fourth Grade - 8:00am to 8:45am
• PTA STEM Night - 6:30pm to 8:00pm
Log in to Edit