Principal Update November 12, 2017
Reported by firstname.lastname@example.org on 11/12/17
What an awe-inspiring presentation and assembly we experienced on Friday to salute our Brookdale Veteran's! Thank you to Carolyn Fitzgerald, Lynne Ouelette and Mr. & Mrs. Kalina for putting it all together!
This is a reminder there is NO SCHOOL for students tomorrow as we have Parent/Teacher Conferences all day and evening set up.
Here is what is happening at Brookdale:
WELCOME TO BROOKDALE MRS. FIALA
We are excited to announce we have hired Mrs. Eva Fiala as our new Health/Office Assistant. Mrs. Fiala has been assisting us during the transition of Mrs. Yep's retirement. She comes to us with great experience and skills to jump right in! Please welcome her and introduce yourself as you visit our school. Her email is email@example.com.
ATTEND ENGAGE 204 ON NOVEMBER 14
You are invited to attend Engage 204, Indian Prairie School District's new community engagement program on November 14 from 7 to 9 pm at Still Middle School, 787 Meadowridge Drive, Aurora. This is the first of a series of Engage 204 sessions hosted by community leaders on behalf of the district. The November 14 meeting will feature a special State of the District presentation by Superintendent Karen Sullivan.
Engage 204 is a collaborative process between the community and District 204 to ensure a strong future for the district and its students. The Engage 204 sessions will explore different aspects of the district, including, enrollment, district finances, and other key issues involved in maintaining a successful educational experience for students. Key to the success of this process is the collaboration and discussion between participants. Attendees will have the unique opportunity to share ideas and discuss topics in small groups in order to provide feedback to the Board of Education.
All District 204 residents are invited to participate in Engage 204. RSVP is appreciated, but not required at http://ipsd.us/1F1FW. Learn more at http://www.engage204.org.
PARENT MEETING FOR FIRST/SECOND GRADE STUDENTS
In response to concerns regarding child safety and vulnerability to sexual abuse, the State of Illinois requires schools to provide instruction in personal safety and awareness of safe/unsafe situations. This law is known as Erin's law. This year, our School District is partnering with Mutual Ground, Inc. to provide Personal Body Safety Education instruction to our 1st and 2nd grade classes as part of the district comprehensive plan. Mutual Ground has provided this program in many school districts throughout our area and we look forward to this opportunity for our students.
To provide you with more information regarding this program, the School District and Mutual Ground are providing a parent presentation on November 27th from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at McCarty Elementary School (3000 Village Green Drive, Aurora). A letter with more information was sent home earlier this week. Please let your teacher know if you need another copy of the letter.
CONGRATULATIONS TO JOE HOWLEY!
Each year, Naperville Police Department produces and delivers Crime Prevention Calendars to all elementary schools students in District 203, District 204 and five area private schools. Students are encouraged to submit artwork of a crime prevention tip or reminder. This year, Joe Howley's artwork was selected to represent Brookdale is the 2017-18 Crime Prevention Calendar. Congratulations Joe!
DIGITAL FOOTPRINT MATTERS CONTEST
In an effort to increase awareness of responsible digital citizenship, KidsMatter has partnered together with School Districts 203 & 204, and the Naperville Police Department, to offer students the opportunity to participate in a video contest and win cash prizes! This contest gives students the opportunity to help solve a real-world problem by submitting videos of their own creation as a single or group submission about digital citizenship. Entries are due by January 17, 2018. See attached flier for more information.
AFTER-SCHOOL ENRICHMENT CLASS PROPOSALS – DUE NOVEMBER 17
Brookdale PTA is currently seeking enrichment class teachers! Anyone can teach an enrichment class and there are endless possibilities of class offerings (see attached ideas of class offerings)! If you have a special talent, hobby, interest and/or a desire to teach Brookdale students, please submit a proposal online by Friday, November 17 atwww.brookdalepta.org/enrichment.
WORLD CULTURAL FAIR
On Friday, November 17 from 7:00 - 8:30pm We will hold Brookdale's World Cultural Fair. 22 counties will be represented at this year's event! Join us for free food, performances, the Zydeco Voodoo band and art activities! This is a FREE family event!
Did you know we have a personal Twitter hashtag - #BrookdalePride? Are you following Brookdale School on Twitter @BrookdaleBobcat? You can follow us to see all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary!
UPCOMING WEEK AT A GLANCE:
Monday, November 13th
• Parent/Teacher Conferences – 8:00am to 8:00pm - NO SCHOOL for Students
• PTA Family Dinner Night at Chipotle - 4:00pm to 8:00pm
Tuesday, November 14th
• School-wide Pajama Day!
• Engage 204 Community Meeting at Still MS - 7:00pm to 9:00pm
Wednesday, November 15th
• Late Start - First bell rings at 9:00am with the Tardy Bell ringing at 9:15am
• Brookdale Buddies Program - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
Thursday, November 16th
• Chorus Practice - 7:50am to 8:50am
• Human Growth and Development Parent Orientation Meeting for all 5th Grade Parents - Longwood Elementary School - 7:00pm
Friday, November 17th
• Second Grade Book Club - 8:00am to 8:50am
• Busy Bobcat Store - 8:30am to 9:05am
• PTA World Cultural Fair at Brookdale - 7:00pm to 8:30pm
Saturday, November 18th
• Mistletoe Market at Brookdale - 9:00am to 1:00pm
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Monday, November 20, 2017 - Human Growth and Development Parent Orientation Meeting for all 5th Grade Parents - Kendall Elementary School - 7:00pm
• Wednesday, November 22 to Friday, November 24, 2017 - NO SCHOOL - Thanksgiving Break
• Monday, November 27, 2017 - Erin's Law Presentation by Mutual Ground for all 1st and 2nd grade Parents - McCarty Elementary School - 6:30pm to 7:30pm
• Monday, December 4, 2017 - Fifth Grade Band/Orchestra Parent Meeting at Hill MS - 7:00pm to 8:00pm
• Friday, December 8, 2017 - PTA Basketball Night - 7:00pm - 8:30pm
• Friday, December 22, 2017 - PTA Winter Party - 2:30pm to 3:20pm
• Monday, December 25, 2017 through Friday, January 5, 2018 - NO SCHOOL - Winter Break
• Monday, January 8, 2018 - Students Return to School
Enrichment Class Ideas (pdf)
World Cultural Fair (pdf)
KidsMatter Digital Footprint (pdf)
Log in to Edit