Principal Update December 18, 2017
Reported by firstname.lastname@example.org on 12/18/17
Please know that our winter break begins on Monday, December 25, 2017 through Friday, January 5, 2018. Our staff and students return to school on Monday, January 8, 2018. We wish everyone a safe, relaxing and adventurous break.
Here is what is happening at Brookdale:
ILLINOIS 5 ESSENTAL PARENT SURVEY
Teachers, parents, and middle and high school students across Illinois have the opportunity to participate in the Illinois 5Essentials Survey. This survey was designed to generate a detailed picture of the inner workings of your child's school. As a parent, your voice is essential to help us understand the conditions at your child's school and guide improvement.
The state provides survey results for individual schools only if a school has at least 20 percent of parents take the survey. As of this morning, 6% (35 Brookdale parents) took the survey. Please take a moment to share your feedback today.
If you have children attending more than one school, we ask that you complete the survey for each school. You may also complete the survey more than once if you have more than one child in the same school. All survey responses are kept confidential. University of Chicago asks parents for an email address when they begin the survey only for the purpose of sending a confirmation once the survey is completed. University of Chicago will never connect your identity and survey responses to you or your child or share the information with your school, the district or the Illinois State Board of Education.
To take this short survey:
1. Visit https://survey.5-essentials.org/illinois/survey/parent/login/.
2. Type and then select DuPage as District 204's County location. This is the county associated with the district, not the location of an individual school.
3. Type your school's name into the School field and then select your school.
SCHOOL CLOSING INFORMATION REMINDER
As we head into winter, we want to remind parents of the ways District 204 announces weather-related school closing information. The announcement is made by 6 a.m. through the following:
• Information is posted first by @ipsd204 on Twitter and at www.ipsd.org
• Connect-ED phone call to parents/guardians
• Local television and radio stations
• Emergency Closing Center's website
We will only announce when schools are closed. If schools are not closed, it is ultimately the responsibility of parents to decide if conditions safely allow for their children to attend school. If children are kept home due to weather conditions, parents must call the school to report the excused absence.
District 204 follows a plan whenever there is consideration of a school closing due to weather conditions. You can read more about how the district makes the decision to close school at Winter Weather Guidelines.
DIGITAL FOOTPRINT MATTERS CONTEST
In an effort to increase awareness of responsible digital citizenship, KidsMatter has partnered together with School Districts 203 & 204, and the Naperville Police Department, to offer students the opportunity to participate in a video contest and win cash prizes! This contest gives students the opportunity to help solve a real-world problem by submitting videos of their own creation as a single or group submission about digital citizenship. Entries are due by January 17, 2018. See attached flier for more information.
Did you know we have a personal Twitter hashtag - #BrookdalePride? Are you following Brookdale School on Twitter @BrookdaleBobcat? You can follow us to see all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary!
UPCOMING WEEK AT A GLANCE:
Monday, December 18th
• Kindergarten - ERIN's Law - 9:45am to 3:00pm
• Whiz Kid's Coding Club - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
Tuesday, December 19th
• Typical Day at Brookdale
Wednesday, December 20th
• Late start - first bell rings at 9:00am with Tardy Bell rings at 9:15am
Thursday, December 21st
• Chorus Practice - 7:50am to 8:50am
Friday, December 22nd
• Second Grade Book Club - 8:15am to 8:50am
• PTA Winter Party - 2:30pm to 3:20pm
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Monday, December 25, 2017 through Friday, January 5, 2018 - NO SCHOOL - Winter Break
• Monday, January 8, 2018 - Students Return to School
• Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - Fifth Grade Band/Orchestra Registration at Hill MS - 4:00pm
• Friday, January 12, 2018 - End of Second Quarter
• Monday, January 15, 2018 - NO SCHOOL - Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday
• Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - NO SCHOOL for Students - School Improvement Day
• Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - Winter Chorus Concert - 7:00pm
• Friday, January 19, 2018 - Report Cards available in HAC - 4:00pm
• Wednesday, January 23, 2018 - Brookdale's Open House for all Families and Friends - 6:30pm to 8:00pm
2017-18 KidsMatter Digital Footprint (pdf)
Log in to Edit