Principal Update May 6, 2018
Reported by email@example.com on 5/6/18
We finally received some Spring weather! What a great feeling to get outside this week. Hope everyone enjoys it throughout the weekend.
Here is what is happening at Brookdale:
Everyone should have received their verification letters and registration packets at this time. The next step is for all parents to verify their information in our Home Access Center prior to our Registration days. If you need assistance with your login or passwords, please contact the main office.
We will host Walk-in Registrations at following dates/times:
• Monday, May 7 - 4:00pm to 7:30pm (Returning KDG through 4th grade students)
• Wednesday May 9 - 12:30pm to 3:00pm and 4:00pm to 7:00pm (NEW KDG students and siblings)
• Thursday, May 10 12:30pm to 3:00pm and 4:00pm to 5:30pm (Returning KDG through 4th grade students)
DONATE TO SUPPORT FAMILIES IN NEED
District 204 currently has 18 percent of its students qualifying for free or reduced lunch. This translates to more than 5,000 students. Purchasing school supplies so children are prepared for the school year can be challenging for low-income families. To address this problem, the Indian Prairie Parents' Council (IPPC) is hosting a drive to support families who may need assistance when their children return to school in August. If you would like to help make a difference for our families, you can make a donation in any amount by visiting http://ipsd.us/8TZJK.
NOTICE OF POST&PRE-EMERGENT WEED CONTROL ON ALL PLANT BEDS, TREE RINGS, COURTYARDS
May 8, 2018 K-8 grounds department will apply Post & Pre-Emergent weed control on all plant beds, tree rings and courtyards . Spray application for all schools will be completed before the start of school. If you have any questions or concerns, refer to the attached posting or contact the buildings and grounds office @ 630-482-6580.
CULINARY CAMP AT WVHS
WVHS is offering culinary camps again this summer for 3-8th grade students. Students can attend classes for this years grade or go up one grade level. Registration information is included in the attached flyer.
RECAP FROM LAST PDAC MEETING
On April 17th, PDAC hosted a meeting on Understanding and Addressing Income Advantages. We discussed the important implications of Title I funds and learned from SPARK, a community partnership, on how early childhood needs are addressed. The slides from the meeting are now available and can be accessed here: http://ipsdweb.ipsd.org/uploads/PDAC/PDACApril2018.pdf. The last PDAC meeting of the school year is on Thursday, May 10th, 7-9:00 pm, at CEC. Join us to celebrate and reflect on this year’s work!
NOMINATION CALL: EQUITY CHAMPION
We need your help nominating Equity Champions. Every year, PDAC acknowledges equity champions that have gone “beyond the call of duty to ensure that all students have equal access to success” ~PDAC nomination form. You may nominate any staff member, administrator, parent and/or community member that you believe has exemplified championing for equity. The nomination forms are open to all. Nominations are due June 30, 2018. The electronic nomination form can be found on the PDAC subpage (scroll to the bottom) or HERE. The selected champion will be recognized at the annual World Café slated for late September/early October 2018. Please do not nominate any member of the current PDAC District Leadership team as ineligible to receive this award.
PARENT INPUT FORM FOR THE 2018-19 SCHOOL YEAR
Attached to this email, you will find a form parent's can fill out to give input on what type of teacher or environment their student requires to learn best. Please know that any form that is returned with a request for a specific teacher will be denied and returned. As we make classroom lists for next school year, we will refer to these input forms and do our best to meet the needs as suggested. Please know that no form will be accepted after June 1, 2018 as the class lists are already being formed by that time.
Registration is now open for the students ages 5-13 who would like to represent their school as a charity hero with Team IPEF in the Naperville Kids Marathon next fall. Students commit to running 25 miles (one mile at a time) between May 1 and October 19 and track their miles. On Saturday, October 20, they run the final 1.2 miles at Naperville North High School on a portion of the course used by Team IPEF runners in the Naperville Half Marathon the following day. All participants receive a shirt and finisher medal. Register at https://www.ipef204.org/kidsmarathon-3/and select the school your child will represent. Cost is $44 and includes race registration and a $26 tax deductible donation.
Did you know we have a personal Twitter hashtag - #BrookdalePride? Are you following Brookdale School on Twitter @BrookdaleBobcat? You can follow us to see all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary!
UPCOMING WEEK AT A GLANCE:
Monday, May 7
• Fourth and Fifth Grade Gym Club - 8:00am to 8:50am
• Fourth Grade Benchmark Assessments - 9:20am and 12:30pm
• Whiz Kids Coding Club - 3:40pm to 5:00pm
• Walk-In Registration for returning students - 4:00pm to 7:30pm
Tuesday, May 8
• Second Grade Benchmark Assessments - 9:30am and 12:30pm
Wednesday, May 9
• Late start - first bell rings at 9:00am with Tardy Bell rings at 9:15am
• Third Grade Benchmark Assessments - 9:30am and 1:30pm
• Walk-In Registration and Kindergarten Screening (by appointment) - 12:30pm to 3:00pm and 4:00pm to 7:00pm
Thursday, May 10
• Chorus Practice - 7:50am to 8:50am
• Walk-In Registration for returning students - 12:30pm to 3:00pm and 4:00pm to 5:30pm
Friday, May 11
• Fifth Grade Tech Club - 8:00am to 8:50am
• PTA Assembly "The Science Alliance" - during the school day
• Fifth Grade Benchmark Assessments - 9:30am
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Wednesday, May 23, 2018 - Spring Chorus Concert at 7:00pm
• Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - Field Day - 9:00am to 12:00pm
• Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - PTA Meeting - 2:00pm
• Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - Volunteer Celebration - immediately following the PTA Meeting
• Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - Retirement Celebration (in MPR) for Mrs. Brigman and Mrs. Zmijewski - 4:00pm
• Friday, June 1, 2018 - Last FULL day of school for all students
• Monday, August 13, 2018 - Chromebook Meeting and Deployment for all 2nd thru 5th grade students - 3:00pm or 5:30pm
Parent Form For Class Placement (doc)
Culinary Camp Flyer (pdf)
IPM Notice Weed Control (doc)
Log in to Edit