Indian Prairie School District 204 has established the Illinois State Seal of Biliteracy program to recognize high school graduates who have attained a high level of proficiency in one or more languages in addition to English.
The Seal of Biliteracy is awarded to those who demonstrate proficiency in English and whose second language proficiency level is equivalent to Intermediate-High, as determined by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages.
A student can also qualify for a State Commendation Toward Biliteracy. This designation would be given in his/her transcripts.
To qualify for the Seal of Biliteracy by their senior year of high school, students must demonstrate proficiency in English by:
- Earning a minimum score of 4 in the Advance Placement (AP) English Exam
- Earning a minimum score of 21 Reading/Writing in the ACT exam
- Earning a minimum score of 540 Reading/Writing in the SAT exam
- Earning a minimum overall score of 4.8 on the ACCESS 2.0 for ELLs exam
- Earning a minimum score of I-5 requirement in each domain (Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing) in the AAPPL English Exam, OR
- Earning an Intermediate-high score requirement in each domain (Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing) in the STAMP 4S English Exam
Foreign Language by:
- Earning a 4 or 5 on the Advanced Placement (AP) language exam taken prior to this school OR
- Earn a minimum score of I-5 on the ACTFL’s Assessment of Performance toward Proficiency in Languages (AAPPL) exam. The following languages can be assessed with the AAPPL exam: Arabic, Mandarin (Simplified or Traditional), French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Thai, OR
- Earning a minimum score of Intermediate-High in the Avant’s STAMP 4S language proficiency exam. The following languages can be assessed and accepted by IPSD 204 with the STAMP 4S exam: Hebrew and Polish
- Earning a minimum score of Intermediate-High in the ACTFL’s Assessment of Performance toward Proficiency in Languages (OPI)- oral exam in Tamil. Additionally, the student must supply documentation of the necessary certification on the other 3 domains (Listening, Reading & Writing) from the Tamil School. The Tamil School fee is a separate fee.
For more information, please contact Rafael Segarra, Director of English Language Learners, at email@example.com
There are three steps involved in the process
1) Apply for the Seal of Biliteracy
Test Dates and Times:
Test #1 (10/16/21): 8am - 1pm (Deadline: 10/8/21) [Seniors Only]
- Test #2 (01/22/22): 8am - 1pm (Deadline: 01/14/22)
- Test #3 (02/26/22): 8am - 1pm (Deadline: 02/18/22)
- OPI test in Tamil only available January 11-March 5th [Juniors & Seniors Only] Click on this link for more information.
2) Pay for Your Exam
3) Provide Proof of Payment
- Provide proof of payment to the testing proctor on the day of the exam.
- OPI submit proof of payment prior to receiving login information.