Indian Prairie School District 204 has established the Illinois State Seal of Biliteracy program to recognize high school graduates who have attained a high level of proficiency in one or more languages in addition to English.
The Seal of Biliteracy is awarded to those who demonstrate proficiency in English and whose second language proficiency level is equivalent to Intermediate-High, as determined by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages.
A student can also qualify for a State Commendation Toward Biliteracy. This designation would be given in his/her transcripts.
To qualify for the Seal of Biliteracy by their senior year of high school, students must demonstrate proficiency in English by:
- Earning a minimum score of 4 in the Advance Placement (AP) English Exam
- Earning a minimum score of 21 Reading/Writing in the ACT exam
- Earning a minimum score of 480 Reading/Writing in the SAT exam
- Earning a minimum overall score of 4.8 on the ACCESS 2.0 for ELLs exam, OR
- Earning an Intermediate-High score requirement in each domain (Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing) in the STAMP 4S English Exam
Students must demonstrate proficiency in Foreign Language by:
- Earning a 4 or 5 on the Advanced Placement (AP) language exam taken prior to this school year OR
- Earn a composite score of Intermediate-High on the ACTFL’s Assessment of Performance toward Proficiency in Languages (AAPPL) exam through the Spanish or French class at their high school.
- Earning a minimum score of Intermediate-High in the Avant’s STAMP 4S language proficiency exam. The following languages can be assessed and accepted by IPSD 204 with the STAMP 4S exam: Arabic, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin (Simplified and Traditional), Polish, Portuguese (Brazilian), Russian, Spanish, OR
- Earning a minimum score of 1+ Interagency Language Roundtable (ILR) in the ALTA Speaking and Listening Assessment, Reading Assessment, and Writing Assessment. The following languages can be assessed and accepted by IPSD 204 with the ALTA exam: Albanian, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Farsi, Finnish, Gujarati, Hmong, Hungarian, Indonesian, Kannada, Kurdish (Kur Manji and Sorani), Lithuanian, Malayalam, Navajo, Norwegian, Pashto (Pakistan), Punjabi (Eastern and Western), Romanian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Swedish, Tagalog, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, and Vietnamese.
- **If there are other languages not listed in the ALTA Assessments or for more information, please contact at you do not see listed in the ALTA assessment, please contact Dr. Rafael Segarra, Director of English Language Learners, at firstname.lastname@example.org
There are three steps involved in the process
- Apply for the Seal of Biliteracy
- You must fill out the online registration form linked here to register through the application process (please ensure you are signed in to Google with your student's IPSD email when accessing this form)
- If you are planning to apply for more than one Seal of Biliteracy, please complete an additional application for that language
- You must register to pay for the STAMP 4S, ALTA or AAPPL retakes prior to choosing a testing date
Test Dates and Times:
- Pay for Your Exam
- STAMP 4S test payment link (through the registration form - please ensure you are signed in to Google with your student's IPSD email when accessing this form)
- ALTA test payment link
- AAPPL test payment link (through the registration form - please ensure you are signed in to Google with your student's IPSD email when accessing this form) (ONLY applies to those that previously took the AAPPL test as a retake)
- Provide Proof of Payment
- Provide proof of payment to the testing proctor on the day of the exam
- ALTA submit proof of payment prior to receiving login information